Academic and Advocacy efforts of AOCN
The Association off child neurology involves itself in various activities for patients with neurological problems as well as practicing Pediatric Neurologists.
Some of these activities include:
- Release and Publication of a Consensus Document on Social and Legal Aspects of Childhood Epilepsy (SOLACE)
This is an important document which carries information for doctors, parents, teachers, social workers on all aspects of Childhood epilepsy.
- Formulation of “Guidelines for management of Infantile spasms”
This document was recently put together after extensive review of literature and opinion of prominent Pediatric Neurologists was taken for drafting of this important guide for managing Infantile Spasms in Indian setting.
- Application for allowing marketing of Vigabatrin to the Drug Controller General of India.
Vigabatrin is an important drug which is used in the management of Infantile Spasms. It is not freely available in India leading to a lot of hardships for the patients/families. The AOCN has applied to the DGCI and pursuing to allow the drug to be sold in India with necessary licenses.
- Recognition of AOCN as official National Pediatric Neurology association by the Armed Forces. This makes it easy for Armed Forces Pediatric Neurologists to take part in all the activities of the AOCN.
- Application to the National Board of Examination for recognition of Pediatric Neurology Speciality as a new subject for award of the DNB degree.